MICHEL ROLLAND – CONSULTING OENOLOGIST
The Château Fonplégade winemaking team is proud to work with legendary Consulting Oenologist Michel Rolland, a man whose name is synonymous with some of the world's greatest wines. In addition to his own properties, which include Château Le Bon Pasteur, Château Bertineau Saint-Vincent, Château Rolland-Maillet and Château Fontenil, Mr. Rolland works with some of the finest wineries on four continents as a consulting oenologist. Over the years, this illustrious list has included such acclaimed wineries as Angélus, Ausone and Valandraud in Saint-Emilion, Pape Clément in Pessac-Léognan, Pontet-Canet in Pauillac, Ornellaia in Tuscany, and Harlan Estate, Bryant Family, Araujo, Ovid, Dalla Valle and Staglin Family Vineyards in Napa Valley. Mr. Rolland is a graduate of the esteemed Bordeaux Faculty of Oenology.
INTERVIEW WITH MICHEL ROLLAND – SEPTEMBER 2011
1. You started consulting for Mr. and Mrs. Adams in 2004 at Château Fonplégade. Looking back at the last 7 vintages of the property, what do you think of the outcome?
2. What are the main technical decisions you made in the cellars and vineyards at Fonplégade since you started working here?
3. What is your opinion on the quality of Château Fonplégade's 42 acres, located on the plateau and downhill?
4. Now the cellars and vineyards have been completely renovated, what do you think of the potential of Château Fonplégade for the years to come?
5. In 2009, Fonplégade started its conversion in organic. It was a project which Mr. and Mrs. Adams had their hearts set on. Again, you were here by their side to advise them. What is your opinion on this transition to organic at Fonplégade?
6. Between 2004 and 2010, is there any particular vintage of Château Fonplégade you remember more than any other?